Sir Muirhead Bone

The National Gallery and Bank of Scotland (1910)

About this artwork

This beautifully detailed drawing depicts the National Gallery of Scotland and Bank of Scotland in Edinburgh, as seen from Princes Street. Bone was particularly skilled at depicting detail and it has been suggested that this was a result of his being long-sighted in one eye and short-sighted in the other. The drawing was bequeathed to the National Galleries of Scotland by Sir James Caw in 1950, and is inscribed ‘In return for tea at Edinburgh Sept. 16, 1910.’ Sir James Caw was the first director of the National Gallery of Scotland, from 1907-30 and presumably Bone gave Caw this drawing of his place of work as a gift for providing him with tea.

Sir Muirhead Bone

Sir Muirhead Bone

Draughtsman, illustrator and painter Muirhead Bone was born in Partick, Glasgow, and trained as an architect. He attended evening classes at Glasgow School of Art and was self-taught as an etcher. In 1901 Bone settled in London, where he quickly established an international reputation, selling prints for large sums. The first artist to be appointed a War Artist in the First World War, he was also an official War Artist in World War Two. Architectural subjects dominate his printed work in addition to images showing industrialisation and urban development. The author of nearly 500 prints, Bone was knighted in 1937.