Andy Warhol Fotografier (1982)
About this artwork
This poster is advertising an exhibition held at the ‘Moderna Museet’ in Stockholm, Sweden. Opening in 1982 the show featured the photographic work of Robert Frank, Robert Rauschenberg and Andy Warhol. The image used on this poster is of Bianca Jagger, the first wife of The Rolling Stones lead singer Mick Jagger. This humorous photo by Warhol was included in his 1979 publication ‘Andy Warhol’s Exposures’. A book of photographs and engaging stories about Warhol’s celebrity friends, it was an insight into how the jet set of New York lived in the late 1970s. Warhol’s humour and personality are apparent in the text. On describing Bianca he begins: “Bianca Jagger is one of the most Socially Diseased people I know. She’s almost as bad as me – and I’m terminal”.
- title: Andy Warhol Fotografier
- accession number: AR00436
- artist: Andy WarholAmerican (1928 - 1987)
- gallery: In Storage
- object type: Work on paper
- date created: 1982
- measurements: 100.00 x 70.00 cm (framed: 108.00 x 78.00 cm)
- credit line: ARTIST ROOMS National Galleries of Scotland and Tate. Acquired jointly through The d'Offay Donation with assistance from the National Heritage Memorial Fund and the Art Fund 2008
- copyright: © The Andy Warhol Foundation for the Visual Arts / Artists Rights Society (ARS), New York / DACS, London 2016.
Andy Warhol was born 'Andrew Warhola' to Slovakian immigrant parents living in Pittsburgh in America. Warhol's subject matter was taken from popular culture, in the form of advertising, comics, magazines and packaging. He was able to produce his works quickly by transferring images onto canvas or paper through photography and screenprinting, sometimes with the help of assistants. Warhol stated that he wanted to make works that showed no trace of having been produced by hand. His interest in mass production reflected the fast-developing consumer culture he recognised in America. His New York studio, 'The Factory,' became a popular meeting place for artists, drop-outs, celebrities and bands.