Steve Paul's THE SCENE poster (1967)
About this artwork
With projects such as his ‘Exploding Plastic Inevitable’ (a series of multimedia events held between 1966 and 1967), Warhol was hugely involved with New York’s social life. “Pretty notorious around town for being at every party” he famously commented “I have a social disease. I have to go out every night”. ‘Steve Paul’s The Scene’ was a trendy nightclub and live music venue in the heart of Manhattan during the late 1960s. Warhol first visited it in August 1965 but this poster is almost certainly advertising the line-up for January 1967. It features the stars of Warhol’s hugely successful film ‘Chelsea Girls’ which was released the previous September and the band The Velvet Underground, which Warhol had managed since 1965.
- title: Steve Paul's THE SCENE poster
- accession number: AR00324
- artist: Andy WarholAmerican (1928 - 1987)
- gallery: In Storage
- object type: Work on paper
- medium: Screenprint on paper
- date created: 1967
- measurements: 55.60 x 35.50 cm (frame: 62.50 x 42.20 cm)
- credit line: ARTIST ROOMS National Galleries of Scotland and Tate. Acquired jointly through The d'Offay Donation with assistance from the National Heritage Memorial Fund and the Art Fund 2008
- copyright: © The Andy Warhol Foundation for the Visual Arts / Artists Rights Society (ARS), New York / DACS, London 2016.
Andy Warhol was born 'Andrew Warhola' to Slovakian immigrant parents living in Pittsburgh in America. Warhol's subject matter was taken from popular culture, in the form of advertising, comics, magazines and packaging. He was able to produce his works quickly by transferring images onto canvas or paper through photography and screenprinting, sometimes with the help of assistants. Warhol stated that he wanted to make works that showed no trace of having been produced by hand. His interest in mass production reflected the fast-developing consumer culture he recognised in America. His New York studio, 'The Factory,' became a popular meeting place for artists, drop-outs, celebrities and bands.