Foot with Cat (1955 - 1957)
About this artwork
Warhol was renowned for his foot fetish. His commercial work was dominated by popular shoe illustrations and in his personal drawings he also enjoyed depicting feet. In this linear pen drawing, he shows a foot that seems to be resting on a decorated tablecloth with a cat perched behind. The cloth’s design, with small doves holding olive branches in their beaks, bears distinct similarities to aspects of Henri Matisse’s work. Warhol had numerous pet cats and in 1954 he published a series of cat portraits in the form of a book - although the cats depicted were not based on his animals but instead on photographs by a cat photographer. However, in ‘Foot with Cat’ the casual composition creates the impression that this was perhaps an impromptu sketch and so the cat may be one of Warhol’s own.
- title: Foot with Cat
- accession number: AR00259
- artist: Andy WarholAmerican (1928 - 1987)
- gallery: In Storage
- object type: Work on paper
- date created: 1955 - 1957
- measurements: 42.50 x 35.00 cm
- credit line: ARTIST ROOMS National Galleries of Scotland and Tate. Acquired jointly through The d'Offay Donation with assistance from the National Heritage Memorial Fund and the Art Fund 2008
- copyright: © The Andy Warhol Foundation for the Visual Arts / Artists Rights Society (ARS), New York / DACS, London 2016.
Andy Warhol was born 'Andrew Warhola' to Slovakian immigrant parents living in Pittsburgh in America. Warhol's subject matter was taken from popular culture, in the form of advertising, comics, magazines and packaging. He was able to produce his works quickly by transferring images onto canvas or paper through photography and screenprinting, sometimes with the help of assistants. Warhol stated that he wanted to make works that showed no trace of having been produced by hand. His interest in mass production reflected the fast-developing consumer culture he recognised in America. His New York studio, 'The Factory,' became a popular meeting place for artists, drop-outs, celebrities and bands.