St Cuthbert's Church, Lothian Road (1882)
About this artwork
Moffat was skilled in most photographic processes, working in platinum, carbon and oil printing. He was also engaged in early colour photography as well as developing techniques to transfer photographs to canvases for use in oil painting. This platinum print - with its rich and subtle range of grey tones - shows the foot of Lothian Road in Edinburgh before the Caledonian station and hotel were built.
- title: St Cuthbert's Church, Lothian Road
- accession number: PGP EPS 92
- artist: Frank MoffatScottish (about 1853 - 1912)
- gallery: Scottish National Portrait Gallery(Print Room)
- object type: Photograph
- subject: Churches and cathedrals Cities
- date created: 1882
- measurements: 19.50 x 24.00 cm
- credit line: Edinburgh Photographic Society Collection, gifted 1987
Frank P. Moffat inherited the family photography business in Edinburgh from his father, John, in 1894. At a time when photographic portraiture was becoming both cheaper and more elaborate, Moffat concentrated on the upper end of the market, building up a business founded on what he described as 'high class portraiture - not upon low prices'. Known as a hard-headed businessman, he climbed to the top of his profession and was elected president of the Professional Photographers' Association shortly before his death in 1912.