Marti Pellow, born 1965. Singer (2005)
About this artwork
Marti Pellow is best known as the lead singer of the nineties pop band, Wet, Wet, Wet. Born in Clydebank, on the outskirts of Glasgow, Pellow formed the band in 1985 initially under the name Vortex. Wet, Wet, Wet went on to have twelve top ten hits before Pellow left in 1999 to embark on a solo career. This caricatured portrait of the singer perfectly captures the archetypal sparkling, white smile of a pop star for which Pellow was famous. Typical of Flynn’s style, his exaggerated use of highlights and shadows gives the face a distinctly three-dimensional, animated quality. Pellow has gone on to star in several stage musicals including Chicago and The Witches of Eastwick.
- title: Marti Pellow, born 1965. Singer
- accession number: PG 3500
- artist: Brian FlynnScottish (born 1972)
- depicted: Marti Pellow
- gallery: Scottish National Portrait Gallery(Print Room)
- object type: Work on paper
- subject: Music
- materials: Watercolour on paper
- date created: 2005
- measurements: 29.70 x 21.00 cm
- credit line: Purchased from the Scottish Cartoon Art Studio, 2006
- copyright: © Scottish Cartoon Art Studio
Brian Flynn studied at Cardonald College, graduating with an HNC in Graphic Art in 1992. Since 1999 he has worked with the Scottish Cartoon Art Studio, first as a draughtsman specialising in architectural and technical illustration before becoming more involved with caricatures. He has developed a distinctive style which incorporates a variety of materials such as ink, watercolour and coloured pencil. His exaggerated use of shadows and highlights stems from his interest in comic books and graphic novels.