About this artwork

This watercolour shows Edinburgh's Grassmarket beneath the Castle Hill at the end of the day, as the setting sun casts long shadows and a red glow across the city. The square structure to the right is the Bowfoot Well, a simple ashlar box with a panelled concave pyramid top and a swagged urn finial. Dating from 1681, the Bowfoot Well was one of ten wells that supplied the city with water. It still stands today, but is no longer connected to the water supply. Just behind the well was the site of the public gallows. The whole of the south side of the Grassmarket was eventually pulled down and renovated by the end of the nineteenth century.

  • title: The Castle and Grassmarket from Candlemaker Row, Edinburgh
  • accession number: D 2447
  • artist: Henry Gibson DuguidScottish (1805 - 1860)
  • gallery: In Storage
  • object type: Work on paper
  • subject: Castles Cities
  • medium: Watercolour
  • date created: 1850
  • measurements: 22.90 x 33.20 cm
  • credit line: William Findlay Watson Bequest 1881

Henry Gibson Duguid

Henry Gibson Duguid

Duguid was primarily a painter of landscapes and buildings, working mainly in oil and watercolour. His dates of birth and death are unknown, but according to entries in the Edinburgh Annual Directory, he was a teacher of 'painting, drawing and pianoforte' at various addresses in the city between 1827 and 1860. Duguid's subject matter was largely confined to views of Edinburgh, and consequentially he produced an invaluable record of the city's appearance prior to its extensive remodelling over the subsequent decades. There was a heightened interest in recording the Old Town at this time as many of the streets were being swept away during road building and general social improvement.