James Cosmo, b. 1948. Actor (28 April 2000)
About this artwork
James Cosmo has had a prolific acting career which extends back to the 1960s. Born in Clydebank he trained at the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama, Glasgow (now the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland). His imposing stature has meant that he is often cast as tough characters, however, he played Father Christmas in ‘The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe’ (2005). Other films in which he has starred include ‘Highlander’, ‘Braveheart’, ‘Trainspotting’ and ‘Troy’, alongside performances in TV shows, ‘Merlin’, ‘Flashforward’ and ‘Sons of Anarchy’. This striking portrait shows Cosmo’s interesting face in great detail.
- title: James Cosmo, b. 1948. Actor
- accession number: PGP 284.23
- artist: Donald MaclellanScottish (born 1967)
- depicted: James Cosmo
- gallery: Scottish National Portrait Gallery(Print Room)
- object type: Photograph
- subject: Performing Arts Stage and Screen
- date created: 28 April 2000
- measurements: 44.90 x 35.40 cm
- credit line: Purchased 2002
- copyright: © Donald Maclellan photographer
Donald MacLellan was born in the West Highlands in 1967. He is a leading portrait photographer whose first solo exhibition 'Black Power' showed at the National Portrait Gallery in London in 1998. Empire magazine commissioned MacLellan to create a portfolio of Scotland's best actors in 2000. It was mounted as an exhibition first at the Cannes Film Festival (May 2000), then in London, finally coming to Edinburgh in 2001/2. MacLellan's work appears regularly in current newspapers and magazines.