Elaine C. Smith (9 March 2000)
About this artwork
Comedienne and actress Elaine C. Smith is best known for her role as Mary Nesbitt in the BBC sitcom, ‘Rab C. Nesbitt’, which began in 1990 and was re-launched in 2011. Born in Baillieston, Glasgow, Smith studied at the city’s Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama (now the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland) and Queen Margaret College Edinburgh. Her TV career was launched in 1986 with her role in the BBC sketch show ‘Naked Video’. Alongside TV and comedy, Smith has also worked in theatre starring in productions such as ‘Calendar Girls’ (2008) and several pantomimes. This photograph is a rather serious mediation of a star who is known for her humour.
- title: Elaine C. Smith
- accession number: PGP 284.10
- artist: Donald MaclellanScottish (born 1967)
- depicted: Elaine C. Smith
- gallery: Scottish National Portrait Gallery(Print Room)
- object type: Photograph
- subject: Performing Arts Stage and Screen
- date created: 9 March 2000
- measurements: 43.50 x 35.40 cm
- credit line: Purchased 2002
- copyright: © Donald Maclellan photographer
Donald MacLellan was born in the West Highlands in 1967. He is a leading portrait photographer whose first solo exhibition 'Black Power' showed at the National Portrait Gallery in London in 1998. Empire magazine commissioned MacLellan to create a portfolio of Scotland's best actors in 2000. It was mounted as an exhibition first at the Cannes Film Festival (May 2000), then in London, finally coming to Edinburgh in 2001/2. MacLellan's work appears regularly in current newspapers and magazines.