Paolo Veronese (Caliari)

Saint Anthony Abbot as Patron of a Kneeling Donor (Probably after 1570)

About this artwork

This fragment once formed the lower left part of an arched altarpiece painted by Veronese around 1563 for the Petrobelli family chapel in the church of San Francesco in Lendinara, near Rovigo. The huge painting was cut up for sale in 1788-9. Two other large fragments survive, showing the Dead Christ with Angels (National Gallery of Canada, Ottawa) and St Jerome with the Donor, Girolamo Petrobelli (Dulwich Picture Gallery, London). Parts of a wing, an arm with a spear, and a devil visible at the right of this canvas originally belonged to a central figure of the Archangel Michael, to whom the chapel was dedicated. The head of this figure has recently been identified in the Blanton Museum of Art, Austin, Texas. A major change to the position of St Anthony’s head is now detectable between the columns.

Paolo Veronese (Caliari)

Paolo Veronese (Caliari)

Veronese was the leading painter in Venice after Titian and was celebrated for his large decorative works, rich in colour and theatrical in character. He was born Paolo Caliari in Verona and was named 'Veronese' once he settled in Venice. Many of his frescoes and canvases are still in the churches, palaces and villas for which they were commissioned in Venice and the Veneto, the countryside on the mainland. His crowded, detailed compositions are carefully orchestrated to ensure their dramatic impact. They also demonstrate his outstanding skills, especially in complex foreshortening. His brother and three sons assisted in his busy successful workshop.