Triptych. Centre: The Virgin and Child Enthroned. Left wing: The Nativity; The Angel of the Annunciation. Right wing: The Crucifixion; The Virgin... (14th century)
About this artwork
This triptych was probably made for a private chapel in a church or family palace in the mid-fourteenth century. The wings open to reveal the image of the Virgin and Christ Child hovering in a blaze of golden radiance. The four female and four male saints have not been identified. The Christ Child receives a rose from a Bishop, possibly St Ambrose. The Annunciation is included at the top of the wings, with Gabriel opposite the Virgin. Below are the Adoration of the Kings and the Crucifixion. Decorative punching enriches the haloes and gold background of all the panels.
- title: Triptych. Centre: The Virgin and Child Enthroned. Left wing: The Nativity; The Angel of the Annunciation. Right wing: The Crucifixion; The Virgin Annunciate
- accession number: NG 1958
- artist: Tuscan SchoolItalian
- depicted: The Virgin Mary
- gallery: Scottish National Gallery(In Storage)
- object type: Painting
- subject: Christianity Martyrdom
- date created: 14th century
- measurements: Overall (with shutters closed): 71.00 x 31.00 cm; Wing (right, inside mouldings): 51.30 x 11.20 cm; Centre (inside mouldings): 47.50 x 22.80 cm; Wings (left, inside moudlings): 51.30 x 12.00 cm (framed: 91.80 x 72.20 x 10.00 cm)
- credit line: Purchased 1942
- photographer: Antonia Reeve
If the identity of an artist who made a painting is not known, the work is often described as belonging to a national or regional school. This is because it appears to share stylistic characteristics with paintings by artists from that nation or region. So a painting described as being of the 'Tuscan school' is by an artist working in the Italian province of Tuscany, who was possibly associated with one of the influential Florentine workshops.