About this artwork

The Old Trinity Church stood on the slopes of Calton Hill in Edinburgh. It was for this church that Hugo van der Goes' Trinity Panels were originally painted. In 1848 the North British Railway Company wanted space for additional railway sidings to service the newly constructed Waverley Station. They proposed the stone-by-stone demolition of Trinity Church to make space, on the proviso that the church would be reconstructed in a more convenient location. Edinburgh Town Council eventually agreed to this, however only the apse was ever rebuilt and is now to be found at Chalmers Close, just off the Royal Mile.

  • title: Old Trinity Church, Edinburgh
  • accession number: NG 1839
  • artist: Henry Gibson DuguidScottish (1805 - 1860)
  • gallery: In Storage
  • object type: Painting
  • materials: Oil on millboard
  • date created: Dated 1848
  • measurements: 21.60 x 29.20 cm (framed: 24.80 x 32.80 x 2.00 cm)
  • credit line: Purchased 1936
  • photographer: Antonia Reeve

Henry Gibson Duguid

Henry Gibson Duguid

Duguid was primarily a painter of landscapes and buildings, working mainly in oil and watercolour. His dates of birth and death are unknown, but according to entries in the Edinburgh Annual Directory, he was a teacher of 'painting, drawing and pianoforte' at various addresses in the city between 1827 and 1860. Duguid's subject matter was largely confined to views of Edinburgh, and consequentially he produced an invaluable record of the city's appearance prior to its extensive remodelling over the subsequent decades. There was a heightened interest in recording the Old Town at this time as many of the streets were being swept away during road building and general social improvement.