About this artwork

The sitter in this painting is Bertha Hamilton Don-Wauchope (1864 - 1944), an Edinburgh model who posed regularly for Cadell from about 1911 to 1926. The distinctive mauve-coloured walls indicate that the portrait was painted in the artist's studio in Ainslie Place, Edinburgh, where the artist lived from 1920. After the First World War, Cadell abandoned his feathery impressionistic manner for this style, using bold colours and scarcely-visible brushstrokes. Cadell often included the names of colours in the titles of his paintings. This practice had been made popular by Whistler and became fashionable during the Edwardian period.

see more information see media

Francis Campbell Boileau Cadell

Francis Campbell Boileau Cadell

Cadell studied in Paris and lived in Munich before settling in his native Edinburgh around 1909. Cadell's pre-war work is influenced by the Impressionists. From around 1920, his work became brighter and bolder. Shadows were suppressed to such an extent that the paintings of this period are comprised of areas of flat colour. Cadell made regular trips to France and Iona with fellow Scottish Colourist S. J. Peploe. Both artists were influenced by the effects of strong sunlight, which led them to use areas of bright colour in their paintings.