'Looking through the Great Forth Bridge (8,300 feet long), Scotland' (1896 or before (copyright 1896))
About this artwork
This stereoscopic photograph shows the Forth Bridge, a cantilever railway bridge over the Firth of Forth that connects the city of Edinburgh with Fife. A marvel of engineering, it was designed by Sir John Fowler and Sir Benjamin Baker. Its construction began in 1883 and the bridge was officially opened by the Prince of Wales on 4 March 1890. At times, more than 4,000 construction workers were employed, although according to a recent estimate 97 men lost their lives in the process. Despite the completion of the neighbouring Forth Road Bridge in 1964, more than twice as many passenger trains now cross the railway bridge compared to the 1890s; around 190 each day.
- title: 'Looking through the Great Forth Bridge (8,300 feet long), Scotland'
- accession number: PGP R 827
- artist: Unknown
- gallery: Scottish National Portrait Gallery(Print Room)
- object type: Photograph
- subject: Engineering and construction Bridges Transport links
- date created: 1896 or before (copyright 1896)
- measurements: 8 x 7.9 cm; 8.2 x 7.8 cm
- credit line: Gift of Mrs. Riddell in memory of Peter Fletcher Riddell, 1985