Mohammad and Anas Sarwar with their Family, Glasgow, 9 July 2011. From A Scottish Family Portrait series (2011)
About this artwork
The first ever British Muslim MP, Mohammad Sarwar was a Labour MP in Glasgow until 2010, when his son Anas Sarwar succeeded him. Mohammad Sarwar followed his father and uncle to Scotland in 1976. Anas Sarwar MP is an NHS dentist who was born and brought up in Glasgow. He describes himself as a Scot, specifically a Glaswegian, saying he would not want to live anywhere else in the world. This photograph was taken in the family home and shows the father, mother and their children.
- title: Mohammad and Anas Sarwar with their Family, Glasgow, 9 July 2011. From A Scottish Family Portrait series
- accession number: PGP 779.14
- artist: Verena JaekelGerman (born 1980)
- gallery: In Storage
- object type: Photograph
- materials: digital C-type print
- date created: 2011
- measurements: 110.00 x 86.00 cm
- credit line: Commissioned by the Scottish National Portrait Gallery 2009
- copyright: © Verena Jaekel
German photographer, Verena Jaekel, studied at the Lette-Verein, Berlin, and gradutated in 2004. Jaekel is a classic documentary photographer, observing scenes with great technical precision and like many of her generation, she is influenced by the Dusseldorf School of Photography. Since graduating her career has flourished, winning the prestigious Wüstenrot Foundation prize for documentary photography in 2005-6 and her portraits have been exhibited globally. Jaekel favours working with a large format film camera with her main subject interests including migration, religion and gender.