Farkhanda Chaudhry MBE (standing wearing headscarf) with the Women of her Family, Glasgow, 15 May 2011. From A Scottish Family Portrait series (2011)
About this artwork
Farkhanda Chaudhry has worked in community development and equalities for many years, receiving an MBE in recognition of her work. She has taken up many leadership positions and was the first Muslim female to become a Justice of the Peace in Scotland. Arriving in Scotland in 1963 as a toddler, Chaudhry has been inspired by the self-determination of the first generation of Pakistani immigrants, in particular her father. In this photograph she chose to bring together the women of her family. While this is still an intimate family portrait, it also represents a figure of strong female unity.
- title: Farkhanda Chaudhry MBE (standing wearing headscarf) with the Women of her Family, Glasgow, 15 May 2011. From A Scottish Family Portrait series
- accession number: PGP 779.6
- artist: Verena JaekelGerman (born 1980)
- gallery: In Storage
- object type: Photograph
- materials: digital C-type print
- date created: 2011
- measurements: 110.00 x 86.00 cm
- credit line: Commissioned by the Scottish National Portrait Gallery 2009
- copyright: © Verena Jaekel
German photographer, Verena Jaekel, studied at the Lette-Verein, Berlin, and gradutated in 2004. Jaekel is a classic documentary photographer, observing scenes with great technical precision and like many of her generation, she is influenced by the Dusseldorf School of Photography. Since graduating her career has flourished, winning the prestigious Wüstenrot Foundation prize for documentary photography in 2005-6 and her portraits have been exhibited globally. Jaekel favours working with a large format film camera with her main subject interests including migration, religion and gender.