Two Boys in Camphill School Grounds, Bieldside, Aberdeen (Photographed 1949)
About this artwork
This photograph was taken for a photo essay titled ‘A School Where Love is a Cure’ which appeared in ‘Picture Post’ in 1949. It covered the work of the Camphill School at Bieldside, near Aberdeen. Established in 1940 by an Austrian exile, Karl König, the school offered residential accommodation for children with learning disabilities. König’s theory of “curative education” placed emphasis on community, a value he felt was expressed in his own history as a refugee from fascism. His care was in great demand: by 1949 the school housed seventy-five staff and 180 pupils. The article’s explanation of Camphill’s work was progressive for the time and brought to public attention issues that were usually ignored outside professional circles.
- title: Two Boys in Camphill School Grounds, Bieldside, Aberdeen
- accession number: PGP 279.41B
- artist: Edith Tudor-HartAustrian (1908 - 1973)
- gallery: Scottish National Portrait Gallery(Print Room)
- object type: Photograph
- date created: Photographed 1949
- measurements: 30.20 x 30.00 cm
- credit line: Presented by Wolfgang Suschitzky 2004
Edith Tudor-Hart, née Suschitzky, was one of the most significant documentary photographers working in Britain in the 1930s and 1940s. Born in Vienna, she grew up in radical Jewish circles. Edith married Alex Tudor-Hart, a British doctor, and the pair moved to England. There she worked as a documentary photographer, closely associated with the Communist Party, compiling a remarkable archive of images of working people in London and later, the south of Wales. Although still active in the 1950s, the difficulties of finding work as a woman photographer led eventually to Tudor-Hart abandoning photography altogether.